Rail fares rip-off
Date published: 11 December 2018
So, next year, 2019, will see another 3.1% increase in rail fares on average.
This is galling for passengers, especially given the chaos on Northern Rail this year which is still suffering problems with punctuality.
Passengers are constantly being promised new trains and better services, but we still have the same old Pacer trains on local lines.
Indeed one of the worse lines for punctuality is the one runs through Greenfield station.
We need to see the Secretary of State for Transport acknowledge his ineptitude, the companies running trains in Greater Manchester their failures in recent months and the freezing of fares in Greater Manchester for 2019 as a small gesture of recompense.
What the Green Party wants is a state-owned railway which invests all profits in infrastructure and rolling stock.
We need integration of all forms of public transport and through ticketing as per London’s Oyster Card.
We need to persuade people to reduce their reliance on cars, but to do this we need cheap, frequent and reliable public transport.
Oldham and Saddleworth Green Party
The views expressed are those of the author of the letter and not those of Oldham Chronicle.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Oldham Athletic dismiss claims of a lack of coaches and owner interference
- 2Boy appears to use meat cleaver during fight in Oldham
- 3Government approves demolition of Oldham ‘eyesore’
- 4Scholes’ son guilty of attacking ‘friend’ in Saddleworth Pub
- 5Oldham Councillors considered plans for two controversial housing estates