The people voted to leave, so that should be that
Date published: 23 October 2018
We keep hearing about the People’s Vote campaign which is trying to whip up support for what in my view is an anti-democratic course of action.
In their bid for a public vote on a final Brexit deal they are peddling the false notion that people didn’t know what they were voting for in the 2016 Referendum.
That is a con, the voters knew perfectly well that it was about making our own laws and controlling our own borders, and it was said explicitly that this meant leaving the Single Market and the Customs Union.
They are also pushing the idea that the result of the vote was close.
Well it wasn’t, the difference between Leave and Remain equated to the combined populations of Birmingham and Liverpool.
So people should not be swept along with this flawed concept of another vote.
The Brexit question was put to the people and they voted to leave and that should be that.
North West MEP
UK Independence Party
The views expressed are those of the author of the letter and not those of Oldham Chronicle.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Oldham Athletic dismiss claims of a lack of coaches and owner interference
- 2Boy appears to use meat cleaver during fight in Oldham
- 3Government approves demolition of Oldham ‘eyesore’
- 4Scholes’ son guilty of attacking ‘friend’ in Saddleworth Pub
- 5Oldham Councillors considered plans for two controversial housing estates